Re: [dwm] [dvtm-patch] Top stack layout

From: Leonardo Taccari <leonardo1990_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:17:10 +0100

Hello Claudio!

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 09:05:47PM +0100, Claudio M. Alessi wrote:
> For a personal choose i usually put all the secondary things at the top
> of the screen mantaining the current working area at the bottom. For
> this reason i thought would be nice to do the same thing with dvtm and i
> hacked the ``bottom stack'' layout in order to make it works exactly as
> the contrary; from here the ``top stack'' layout. I found it very useful
> expecially when i have only three maximized clients (often). The code
> works but i will not surprise to find bugs.
Yes, the top stack philosophy is pretty good, I was comfortable with
``bottom stack'' and now I'm very comfortable with this new layout,
because I think that ``master window'' should be on the bottom.

However, I found a small bug, and (ATM) I'm not able to fix it, but
I'll report it...
If you have BarTop and only *one* non-minimized window and other
minimized windows you'll have a problem with one minimized window, I'll
try to explain it in ASCII art:

It should be:
 [ BarTop ]
 -[#2]---------- <-- minimized window
 -[#1]---------- <-- non-minimized window
 aoeu aoeu aoeu
 aeou aoeu aoeu
                 <-- this line is empty (another bug?)
 ---------------

But it is:
 [ BarTop ]
 -[#1]---------- <-- minimized and non-minimized windows
 aoeu aoeu aoeu
 aoeu aoeu aoeu
 aoeu aoeu aoeu
                 <-- this line is empty
 ---------------

If I don't have the bar it works correctly:
 -[#2]---------
 -[#1]---------
 aoeu aoeu aoeu
 aoeu aoeu aoeu
 aoeu aoeu aoeu
 aoeu aoeu aoeu <-- the last line isn't empty (and this is correct)

> I hope someone will found it helpful.
Of course, it's a useful layout especially for bsdtack users that want
the master area in the bottom (and the minimized windows near BarTop are
more readable too).

Thank you!

Ciao, Leonardo

--