Re: [dwm] xinerama, things get more and more useful

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:58:53 +0100

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 10:47:29AM +0100, Nicolas Martyanoff wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:01:39 +0100
> "Anselm R. Garbe" <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
>
> > There are kind a lot of caveats in current hg tip, but I
> > encourage early adaptors to give it a try and to update from
> > time to time, and to report bugs.
> >
> > The worst caveat atm is that the focus handling among different
> > views (screens) might need mouse assistance in some cases, so
> > I'm aware of this already.
> >
> > http://www.suckless.org/shots/dwm-xinerama-new.png
> >
> > Kind regards,
>
> I just tried the last hg version, and I am a bit disappointed.
> The idea to divide up the tags between the screens isn't really
> ergonomic.
>
> A dual (or more) screen, is particulary useful to have two or more
> applications on a single view, for example a coding window and a pdf
> research paper. With the new system, navigating between the tags is
> really tedious; with wmii, I knew that my coding windows (editor,
> doc...) were on tag '2'. A simple alt-2 and it was restaured. With dwm
> old xinerama system, I had to press alt-2 foreach screen which was ok
> though less practical. Now I have to remember two tag, on per screen,
> for each couple of application.
>
> The only advantage of this system is to remove the need to manually
> toggle between the screens.
>
> Furthermore, if it was possible before to use a window covering the
> whole display (blender for example) by switching to float mode, the by
> enabling the same tag on each screen (yes it was painful), it's not
> possible anymore.
>
> I really hope this is gonna change :(

Well, in my opinion you use tagging in a different way than me.
I mainly use unrelated programs on different views, so the
initial idea as presented in hg tip atm fits very well.

Also, I regularly view more than a single tag on a specific
screen, so you might consider using different tags for the same
application (e.g. having the pdf viewer in a 'doc' tag, and the
editor in an 'ed' tag) - with both tags remaining to different
views.

Kind regards,