Re: [dwm] I miss regex and what is the "right" way to apply geometry at startup.

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 00:49:49 +0100

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 07:39:02PM -0400, John A. Grahor wrote:
> I know Anselm asked if anybody cared whether regex was deleted and I
> didn't reply so I guess is should hold my peace now;) But my problem
> isn't really with the lack of regex but with the fact that where before
> the rules processing would work with a string of the form
> "class:instance:title", now it works with each of class, instance and
> title independently, searching each one for the rule string.

That's a valid remark. But instead of constructing the string
again, I consider changing Rule as follows:

typdef struct {
        const char *class;
        const char *instance;
        const char *title;
        const char *tag;
        Bool isfloating;
} Rule;

This allows for faster matching. Expect it happen in a rather
soon 4.9 release.

> On a separate subject, is there a way to apply non-default geometry
> settings at start up without editing dwm.c and changing setdefaultgeoms.
> What I want to do is reset setgeoms in config.h but I don't know how
> to make that happen. Or can setdefaultgeoms be redefined in config.h?
> I don't think so.

The setgeoms definition will be moved to config.h as proposed
some minutes before I did the release ;)

Kind regards,