Re: [dwm] still simplicity or featureitis?

From: Joerg van den Hoff <j.van_den_hoff_AT_fzd.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:26:21 +0100

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 02:07:55PM +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 01:56:58PM +0100, Giorgio Lando wrote:
> > Actually 4.7 has been for me feature complete and subjectively bug free.
> > In 4.8 there are new things for which I am unable to imagine a scenario
> > of use (both monocle and vertical tile) and one thing which I miss (the
> > possibility to toggle the bar).
> >
> > But this is not a real problem for me, vanilla dwm-4.7 is actually
> > quite the perfect wm for me, there is no improvement I can think of, so
> > I will simply stay with it indefinitely.
>
> Well development is going on and there are chances that some
> general screen geometry manipulation functions will appear in
> mainstream dwm which replace setmwfact and togglebar. For now I
> decided against such an attempt, because I'm curios about what
> people come up with.

at least with a "please keep/restore both" :-). `togglebar`
mainly to have a "real full screen presentation mode",
`mwfact' since it _never_ will be right all the time for all
users if hardcoded. the latter (having `mwfact') seems quite
important to me. I like especially the ease of use. cf.,
e.g., with `ion3' where such adjustments are quite a pain in
the back (first activate "resize"; than adjust all 4 borders
if you like -- achieving the simple equivalent of `mwfact'
takes much more time/effort). of course if you think of
completely different strategies to manipulate the geometry
(instead of removing the ability to do so), forget
immediately what I've said (apart from: keep ease of use).

and contrary to the initial post I'd say `monocle' is very
useful indeed. but 'vertical tile' does not make sense, at
least not on a single monitor, not for me in any case. (by-
the-by, if 'vertical' is the 'new' tile and 'horizontal'
is the standard tile, I'd say the names are swapped: in the
standard tile the windows are vertically tiled one above the
other, so why is this the 'horizontal tiling' ...)

joerg