Re: [dwm] random wm thoughts

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:39:09 +0000

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 4:44 AM, John Li <jli_AT_circularly.org> wrote:
> - For a short while, I experimented with using the floating layout as my
> default layout. It was actually kind of interesting. The main
> advantage of it: it adds a certain kind of predictability when
> adding/removing tags from view. I tend to have a lot of terminal
> windows open (like most dwm users, I suspect). One downside is that
> many of the windows look very similar (same font, font size, color
> scheme, etc.). When adding a tag to the view results in more terminal

One thing I did was modified aterm so that it changes the background
colour based upon using a very simple hash of the directory name as an
index into a colour table. After about a year I now know automatically
which colour various very common directories give (/home/dtweed,
/root, /tmp, etc) and it's very quick for me to find say my home
directory if I know it's definitely in the current set of viewed tags.
If I'm working on something with terminals in specific directories for
a couple of weeks I'll have "internalised automatically" out the
directory colours after about a week. I'd hoped it might kick in
quicker, but unfortunately it takes that longer. The other big problem
is that I only managed to find 8 suitably distinct background colours,
so different directories map to the same colours occasionally.
However, once st gets released I hope to hack it to behave this way.
(I only went for aterm because that was the only source code I could
figure out how to hack.)

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
david.tweed_AT_gmail.com