Re: [dwm] snapping bugs with multiple screens

From: hiro <23hiro_AT_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 11:04:58 -0400

> There is this stupid idea called democracy (just in case you heard of
> it) and I tried to establish just a tiny fraction of it here in the dwm
> development process. Shame on me!

At the beginning dwm was Anselm's baby, and he said it shall only fit
his needs. He made this very clear and I fully respected this. Dwm
never really fit my own needs, but it was still an interesting
approach. And, like you said, Matthias, there is always the
possibility of an own branch.

> For me it the dwm development process seems to be kind of fair, Anselm
> mainly tries improve dwm based on the needs (and patches) of the people
> here on the mailing list unless they don't interfere with the
> development philosophy.

> But due to the development philosophy of dwm you can't make everyone
> happy and integrate every feature.

Yes, what is the development philosophy? If i remember correctly it
was all about being small, simple and elitist.
But there are always compromises. So, there has to be a decision about
what features to support.
Recently there were all these changes with monocle and xinerama; And
of course things get more difficult this way, so i would have
respected i.e. not including such features at all.
But at some point the decision was made about Xinerama support, and
since then development seemed going forwards and backwards, aimlessly
and probably startled from all these bad X dependencies.
Dwm shouldn't focus so much on *how much* X features suck, but rather
on doing one thing (whatever this is), and then of course, doing it
good.