Re: [dwm] Documentation!

From: Steffen Liebergeld <stepardo_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 19:38:00 +0200

Hi,

Anselm R. Garbe wrote:

> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 12:21:59PM +0200, yy wrote:
>> The 2 or 3 characters variable names have been there since the
>> beginning to define geometries, I don't understand what the problem
>
> I kind of prefer short variable names, they are much easier to
> read, especially in calculations. If you solve an equation with
> your pen, you also don't use variable names like
>
> heightOfTheHouse / sqrt(frontSideOfTheHouse * leftSideOfTheHouse)
>
> h / sqrt(a * b)
>
> is more readable. I agree of course, that h, a, and b should be
> described somewhere if they are intended being manipulated in
> the users setup.

I completely disagree with you. First of all, your pen and paper equations
are used only one time and that is when you do the equation. Afterwards you
throw the paper away and go with the results. When programming, you have to
make sure that the code is read- and understandable when you get back to
it. What makes good code is how fast you can grasp its workings when first
reading it (when you read your code after a year of not touching it, it is
like the first time you encounter it). And it is not a good thing to have
short variables and document them somewhere else. Have you ever heard of
the Single Point Of Truth (SPOT) rule? If not, read that:
http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/taoup/html/ch04s02.html.

>> This is a list of what I don't like/use in dwm:
>> - Geom stuff (already removed, I know), though I'm concerned people
>> with 2 monitors need a solution.
>
> Well, we don't need to discuss DEFGEOM any further. For multiple
> monitor support I consider that people implement their own
> function in config.h which can be enabled using a custom
> keystroke. I already realized that dwm is and will be a single
> head window manager in the future. I think big screens are
> affordable and much better than dual head setups.

I completely disagree with you (again). How about laptops? How about those
nifty small laptops like the eeepc? Multihead-setups are useful, and should
be supported (or at least there should be ways to implement support
easily).

Sorry for disturbing you again, but i felt i had to speak.

Greetings, Steffen