Re: [dwm] Freedom (was: Re: sic ipv6 patch)

From: hiro <23hiro_AT_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 09:17:13 -0400

> *you* don't get it (I'm good at personnal attack too): this is a way
> to lead on the path of understanding "why the GPL".

And do you already know what comes after "understanding" on that path
you are talking about?
I hope you are going on...
You should search for the path of truth.

> Another way to see the GPL: "do not close the code".

You don't need a GPL for "not closing the code".

On 5/20/08, Szabolcs Nagy <nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/20/08, hiro <23hiro_AT_googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> What do you think about the freedom to remove the freedom from the code?
>
> > cut any other's freedom. On the other hand everyone could use your
> > code, and noone would even notice. It does *no* harm to others.
>

> sure it does
> if i start selling dwm for money then it can make harm (economically
> and game theoretically)

Game theory? Economy?
You mean religion?
Think again.

> there are many possible attitudes and strategies with respect to
> software licensing and it's absolutely not trivial which one to chose
> to achieve a goal (or which goal to prefer).

> it is perfectly justified to talk and reason about the consequences of
> certain licensing schemes.

It's perfectly justified to do more important things instead.

> > Code has no freedom. people in society want to be free, but the code
> > doesn't mind. It is just letters and stuff. neither free nor unfree.
>

> imho noone talked abut the freedom of code but the freedom of people
> using that code.

imho you don't got a clue.
Look again at the quote in the context:

--