Re: [dwm] Freedom (was: Re: sic ipv6 patch)

From: Szabolcs Nagy <nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 19:22:55 +0200

On 5/20/08, Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> (eg. allowing to kill is more free by your definition (less
>> restrictions), but if we care about consequences then it's less free
>> (it may pose much more restrictions on the possibilities of an
>> individual))
>
> This is a specious analogy. When you kill someone you permanently
> remove them from the population. Compiling a binary and releasing it
> without providing source does not remove the source code from the
> public grasp.

you missed my point
the analogy is to show that removing a restriction may cause more
restriction globally in some way (which also shows the flaw in your
interpretation of freedom)

i thougth this was trivial, but here is a less abstract analogy:
- remove restriction 'copyright notice should be included'
- one can sell dwm, with different copyright notice
- he may restrict * (include some evil, anti-freedom restrictrions here)
- ppl won't know about original source because it's not named, so they
will face evil restrictions
- restrictions == less freedom
- so removing restriction might mean less freedom

> There is in fact near-universal agreement on the exact meaning of the
> term. You, and certain members and employees of the FSF, have
> deviated from that meaning. This doesn't make the original meaning
> less valid; nor does it make your revised edition more valid. You're

i talked about freedom more generally (not just software freedom)

when defining the term "freedom provided by a ruleset" the "level of
inclusion of consequences" is an inherent problem.
it has nothing to do with FSF.

> it to describe a copyright license that imposes restrictions on
> people, it's a clear case of obfuscating reality for political
> purposes, and it's disingenuous. It's also not a very good way to get
> people on your side.

i think it's a matter of terminology
but even regarding it as philosophical question it should have nothing
to do with "politics" or "one's side"

> Personally, I'd like to see copyright law abolished entirely. The
> entire concept of licensing is distasteful to me, but that's the world
> we live in.

i agree.
it would be nice if every code were in public domain so noone should
care about licensing.