Re: [dwm] way towards 5.0

From: Evan Gates <evan.gates_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 17:26:24 -0700

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 9:54 AM, John Li <jli_AT_circularly.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 02:47:28PM +0200, Jan Christoph Ebersbach wrote:
> > On Sun 18-05-2008 12:42 +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > >
> > > I disagree. I think the floating mode is as usable as in traditional
> > > WMs -- which functionality are you missing?
> >
> > Pancake guessed right, I was talking about maximizing, moving and
> > resizing windows. It would also be nice to have an arrange and/or an
> > overview like the one MacOS provides.
>
> Curious you ask for the Mac OS exposé thing. I was observing that
> setting a non-floating layout and selecting all tags essentially gives
> you this. I think what would make it perfect would be the "grid-mode"
> layout from a while ago (I don't know if it still works) so that you
> don't have one huge master window and a bunch of very short (or skinny)
> windows in the tile area.
>
> But (and this is somewhat of a problem with automatic tiling in general)
> it can be hard to distinguish windows when the geometric information
> (width, height) is removed. I think having everything in a grid would
> still be kind of nice.
>

> -John

I saw this and got curious. This is a quick and dirty patch I whipped up,
but I like the way it works. Beware it also has and extra layout and
pointer
warping because I was too lazy to get rid of them to make the diff. I've
also
included my config.h so you can see how I use it to move horizontally while
in grid mode.

grid() - obviously the grid layout
viewtagsel() - view tags of selected client, to come out of expose mode
focus{next,prev}() - now take an argument, the number of clients to jump or
if the argument is NULL, it jumps `rows` clients. (really dirty hack
because
I'm lazy)

This patches against the current tip, changeset 1234

-E

-E