Re: [dwm] In context of dwm 5.0

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 10:22:20 +0200

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 12:25:23PM -0700, Scytrin dai Kinthra wrote:
> Since the loss of DEFGEOM, which I enjoyed in terms of the ease of
> setting up the basic parameters of display logic, attaining my
> favoured setup has become a little obscured.
>
> What would be the simplest way to define the status bar be only half
> the screen width? My intent would be to use dzen for misc info

Try starting dwm like:

echo " " | dwm

and then running dzen in front of the empty status area.

> display, piping persistant information to dwm. I tend to jump to
> different machines with different stups and having a particular setup
> per host has become standard for me. Some have multiple displays, some
> have one, some are wifi only, some are wired only, some are mixed,
> etc...
>
> I had poked around in drawbar() this morning, seeing about possibly
> removing the stdin/status section of the bar or restricting the width
> of the bar and could only deduce that (int)ww determined the width
> bound of the bar, and the setting of dc.x = 0; determined the origin.
> Am I correct in this appraisal?

The absolute bar geometry (relative to the root window) is:

wx, by, ww, bh

wx is the X-coordinate of the window area, ww is the width of
the window area, by is the Y-coordinate of the bar, bh is the
bar height.

dc.{x,y,w,h} is relative to the bar window itself. dc means draw
context.

Kind regards,