Re: [dwm] New layout

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:39:53 +0200

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 11:35:38AM +0200, yy wrote:
> 2008/7/2, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>:
> > Looking into your patch I more and more come to the conclusion
> > to add an extra void *aux field to Client for extensions like
> > this (or the previous extensions proposed in the toggle{vert,horiz} patches.
> >
> > With this in 5.1 you could easily keep your patchset upwards
> > compatible if you use Client->aux to store all the extensions to
> > Client.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Then you could separate all your functions into dwmii.c which is
> > included in config.h instead.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Anselm
> >

> I like the idea, I think it would be well worth to give it a try.

Well, I'm not totally sure, since *aux won't work without adding
at least a void (*cleanupaux)(void *); callback as well. So the
layout algorithm would need to check

        if(!c->aux)
                c->aux = malloc(Foobar);

before doing anything. However I had another look into the
patch, and it hooks into some other core functions of dwm as
well. Is there any way to get rid of this interference or to
discuss further hook possibilities?

Kind regards,