Re: [dwm] Coding styles

From: Mate Nagy <mnagy_AT_port70.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:49:14 +0200

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 01:37:22PM +0200, pancake wrote:
> I wrote a random list of tips for coding (mostly in C)
>
> http://news.nopcode.org/miau/wk/BadCoding
>
> If you have some ideas/missing tips i'm open for discussion :)
 I mostly agree with everything, except with your bizarre anger against
C99/gcc extension features that make C seem it wasn't as retarded and
low-level as it actually is.
 IMHO:
 - nested functions? very good, use them (they can help a lot by moving
your programming into a slightly functional direction, supporting "code
reuse")
 - nested braces for localizing scope? good, use them
   (with the exception that they sometimes tend to make you write longer
functions instead of separating code to multiple smaller functions,
which would be better)

 (ideally, everybody should use something modern instead of C (like
Haskell (which I don't actually really know, so don't attack me :)),
 but that's not going to happen. Oh, and Lisp, of course. This is 2008,
people, there are plenty of languages that can be compiled to be fast,
and actually have *features*. Like generics, type systems, macro
systems, omg.
 Btw, we are recently looking into Kaya (kayalang.org). It's yet very
young, but looks quite promising.)

Regards,
 Mate