Re: [dwm] Purpose of Monocle Layout

From: v4hn <me_AT_v4hn.de>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 01:31:17 +0200

Ev'ning,

On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 04:31:50PM -0400, Ian Daniher wrote:
> BTW, a friend and I came up with the idea, that it would be useful to
> have some visual hint of how many windows you are actually viewing in
> monocle. Say, there are five windows with currently viewed tag and
> you're viewing the third window in the stack; then there could be an
> indicator like: [3/5] or [..*..]. What do you guys think about that?

hm, just took a quick glance into the code and suppose,
using the current design, it would result in [1/5] whichever of the 5
windows is focused, because focusing another window internally results in
moving the window to the top of a stack. There is no fixed order of
all windows currently tagged.

*time keeps running on...*

oook, wasn't a big problem in the end, even if it took some time..
a patch for your request can be found at

http://v4hn.de/patches/dwm-5.1_monocle_count.diff

have fun using it :)

> I definitely think that an indicator of how many windows are on the tab
> would be helpful.
>
> Also, implementing the alt-tab to switch between the windows on that tab
> would seem to make sense.

What's the problem? Change this line in config.h

{ MODKEY, XK_j, focusstack, {.i = +1 } },

{ MODKEY, XK_Tab, focusstack, {.i = +1 } },

and if your MODKEY is Alt, you got your alt-tab-switch..

v4hn

PS: It's absolutly great to hack your code everyone,
such pearls of design are seldom...