Re: [dwm] rationale for resizehints=False?

From: Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 00:56:45 -0700

On Aug 7, 2008, at 12:35 AM, Sander van Dijk wrote:

> On 8/6/08, Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have the inside border
>> set up to follow resize hints (this packs more text onscreen if my
>> display's number of rows is not a multiple of 3). The outside border
>> does not follow resize hints, because I have them set up to be
>> rendered exactly 1px offscreen (I don't want to see them).
>>
>> Any reason why the current setup is all-or-nothing?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "having the inside border setup to
> follow resizehints, but the outside border does not follow
> resizehints"? Handling resizehints doesn't have an effect on borders,
> it has an effect on the window. An application can for instance say "I
> want to be resized in steps of 5 pixels only" or "I want to be
> precisely this size". When resizehints handling is enabled, dwm will
> honor those requests, otherwise it'll simply say "this is your size,
> deal with it". I believe there's not much between all or nothing there
> (other than being able to handle/ignore specific hints, but I doubt
> that's what you meant).

Sorry, I think I don't think I was very precise. I have my setup as
follows. For the following layout, "tile" assigns sizes to windows
A,B,C,D (in that order).

        +------+---+
        | | B |
        | +---+
        | A | C |
        | +---+
        | | D |

I have "tile" set the height of A *precisely* to wh (A->h = wh).
Resize hints are used for the width (A->w = A->basew + n*A->incw for
some n such that |A->w - mfact*ww| < A->incw). For B and C, the width
is set precisely (B->w = ww - A->w), and resize hints are used for
the height.

So I believe there is something between all or nothing (i.e.
"something" :)), which is to follow resize hints for one dimension
only. I was just wondering why others would prefer one setting over
another.