Re: [dwm] savefloats isn't working in 5.1

From: RCarter <tworoadsconverged_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:27:07 -0400

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 4:59 PM, RCarter <tworoadsconverged_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_enolink.de>wrote:
>
>> RCarter wrote:
>> > This page: http://www.suckless.org/wiki/dwm/patches/save_floates.html
>> > says about the save_floats patch: "Recently it became part of the main
>> > distribution of dwm"
>> >
>> > I'm just switching to 5.1, and have never used this functionality
>> before.
>> > I don't think its working.
>>
>> I hope this works for you.
>>
>> Regards
>> Matthias-Christian
>>

> You're the greatest! Thanks!
>
> One of my most important programs, for Chinese learning, Wenlin, which runs
>
> under wine, is now behaving right under dwm for the first time.
> I wanted it to work perfectly for the benefit of my other user, who is
> fortunately
> converted to my minimalist setup with dwm.
>
> This savefloats patch is important. Thanks again.

Correction:
dwm 5.1 can already handle Wenlin (and similarly behaving programs)
perfectly,
without the above patch. I was reminded in another thread about the
"isfloating"
flag that can be toggled on windows with mod+button2 or mod+shift+space.
(If you don't have a middle button, left_button+right_button works.)

Just set the isfloating flag on the main window, the "Brush Tool", and any
other
misbehaving child-windows, manually or in config.h like this:

NULL, NULL, "Wenlin", 0, True
NULL, NULL, "Brush Tool", 0, True (<<This above all)

The key here is not the *layout*, it is the *isfloating flag*, which is
precisely what
is affected by those config settings, which I didn't realize.

So, the exact benefit of the above patch in this case is that toggling the
isfloating
flag, in a tiled layout, gives the desired behavior of tiling and refloating
back to
the same size and position. Just keep isfloating set on the "Brush Tool".
Note to self: Read The Manual more often.