Re: [dwm] dwm-5.3

From: Neale Pickett <neale_AT_woozle.org>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 21:05:39 -0700

Guillaume Quintin <coincoin169g_AT_gmail.com> writes:

> But now, when I reinstall dwm-5.2 I get the same problem than in
> dwm-5.3 and dwm-5.3.1, "double-fork", "simple-fork" and
> re-"double-fork". I don't understand why.

This makes me happy, not only because my spawn function wasn't the
problem, but also because I can feel again like I know how Unix works :)

I now think it is the open file descriptor causing the problem. The
SIGCHLD or double-fork would both cause this behavior; the problem is
that the shell running .xinitrc is waiting for an EOF on the pipe it
created for STD(IN|OUT|ERR), and is never getting it because you still
have some X clients with it open.

I advise against closing STDOUT or STDERR in the spawn function: that's
how error messages make it in to .xsession-errors.

I'll keep looking into ways to solve your particular problem. Guillaume.

Neale