Re: [dwm] DWM 5.3.1 and Xinerama

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 10:52:49 +0000

2008/12/7 Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439_AT_csun.edu>:
> Sorry to bother with this question....
>
> I have been using DWM for a year or so now but never needed to connect
> my laptop to a projector till today. I realized I had no idea how to do
> this with DWM.
>
> After some research I found that DWM uses Xinerama and not xrandr. I got
> as far as compiling DWM with Xinerema support and then getting lost.

Isn't Xinerama a legacy API which is glued with XrandR in recent X.Org
builds? At least that was my impression.

> What's the next step? I plan to put a how to in the DWM page once I get
> this up an running.

If dwm has been build with Xinerama support it will use the screen
which contains the pointer as "default" screen when it starts. The
"default" screen will be used to display the bar and to apply all
layout algorithms. All other screens can only be used for floating
clients. That's how it is supposed to behave in vanilla dwm.

HTH,
--Anselm