Re: [dwm] dwm and dualhead

From: Mate Nagy <mnagy_AT_port70.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:34:05 +0100

Hiho,
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 05:37:14PM +0000, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> 2008/12/10 Johannes Wegener <ih-mon_AT_gmx.de>:
> > Hi,
> > is there anybody who has experience with dwm and dualhead setups? I
> > tried to use dwm with a xrandr dualhead but it seemed quite useless becouse I
> > could just drag floating windows into the second screen. Xinerama seems
> > no more supported by xorg 7.4 and the intel driver.
> >
> > So my question are do you plan to put xrandr support into dwm? or has
> > anybody a hack/workaround for that problem?
>
> Seems that XRandR support in dwm is becoming a requirement soon, unfortunately.
 well, yes :) - but at least for me, "Xinerama not being supported by
xorg 7.4 and the intel driver" didn't mean dropped support - it means
that in dual screen configurations, X craps itself with copious kernel
output. I didn't think that this might be intentional.. since the intel
driver could never be called "stable".

 In shared FB mode, it works - with severely disabled acceleration,
which touches the other recently mentioned issue with window movement
(unprocessed motion events piled up in the buffer). Incidentally,
grabbing the server didn't solve this for me - even moving around the
static window bitmap was too slow... I inserted a hack that throws out
surplus motion events before processing the last one, and this works.

 The lesson I learnt from this: I will never buy a laptop with integrated
intel graphics again.

Mate