Re: [dwm] dwm and dualhead

From: yy <yiyu.jgl_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:39:19 +0100

The problem with xinerama is that no general implementation is
possible. You can have a tile algorithm for both screens or two
different ones, you can share tags or they can be different, it could
be possible for the user to move windows between screens or not, etc.
And what do you do with the status bar? two different bars, just one
bar in one screen, or an special bar which for example has tags, tile
symbol and window title in one screen and use the other one for status
text? This lack of generality is a good reason to drop xinerama from
dwm at first.
It actually is quite easy to get screens info with very few
modifications to updategeom() and then work on your own implementation
from there. In an ideal world, some good patches would have appeared
on this list and, if somebody finds a great _general_ solution (which
seems difficult, but I would be love to be wrong), I'm sure Anselm
would be glad to include it in the official release.
Just my 2cts,

--
- yiyus || JGL .