Re: [dwm] [OT] Personal Website and CSS

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_mirix.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:49:48 +0100

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 04:59:06PM -0600, Kurt H Maier wrote:
> In my estimation, the web is a lost cause. As time goes on, it's more
> and more a tool that is abused by idiots cramming too much broken
> "functionality" in them, and most browsers are just platforms from
> which to launch bad ideas. The whole thing was never designed for
> fine-grained control of how a website was rendered, and you're asking
> for a lot of heartache by attempting to make it work that way.

Well, I realised that too, but somehow felt the need for communicating
these ideas to other people (most people will just believe in something,
if it's repeated often enough).

I don't want fine-grained control, but to make a website somewhat
typographically useable, you need to set the paddings and margins so
that they fit thogether with the text. Therefore you have to clear a
lot of the default stylesheet definitions. That seems insane to me.

> On my website[1], I use very basic html, and include a stylesheet
> basically to set colors I like and a maximum width for the main body
> of the text. I also use CSS to move some of the navigation stuff off
> to the side, but other than that, it's up to the reader to configure
> his browser to make things presentable.

The more I think about this topic the more I think I will simply test my
stylesheet in Firefox, links, dillo and netsurf. I will actually write
an essay on the problems I had developing the site, although I think
this won't make the Internet better.

> 1 - http://www.madleet.net/cgi-bin/blog.sh

$ curl http://madleet.net/blog.css 2> /dev/null | wc -l
24