Re: [dwm] Low Power Fanless Computer

From: voltaic <voltaic_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 11:50:04 -0400

I have been looking into this kind of thing myself. What I found is
that getting an Atom nettop computer would be a significant downgrade
in performance (from my Pentium M). Both in performance and
power/Watt. Also, GMA900 on the EEEs is slow enough that rendering
webpages is not very smooth. Imagine what that would be like in 3
years.

I looked at two things. First is the Neuros Link, which has a low
power Athlon LE-1660. The form factor is not that small, and it does
have a fan (supposedly quiet), but it does accommodate a full hard
drive, has eSATA, DVI and HDMI. The problem with it is the ATI
graphics chip... Linux support for these is still terrible, despite
the recent releases of documentation. The open source driver is moving
very slowly for the AMD/ATI hardware.

Though, Neuros Link is very cheap ($250):
http://www.neurostechnology.com/neuros-link

Another item is the Dell Studio Hybrid. That thing gets good reviews.
It is a real computer, unlike the Atom stuff. There is a Core 2 Duo
laptop processor in there, which is the best performance/Watt you can
get. Apparently it is very quiet (does have a fan), draws 25W at idle,
and 40W max, and has a GMA X3100 graphics chip. DVI and HDMI (though
only one can be active at a time, so no dual screen). It can be had
for $500. Sadly, it is not small enough to be VESA mountable. Also, no
eSATA, so you are stuck with a single internal drive.

http://www.dell.com/hybrid

Anyway, I think both of these options are imperfect, but maybe someone
will find them useful. I am waiting for the NVIDIA Ion stuff to come
out. NVIDIA has a acceptable Linux drivers I hear.

-v