[hackers] st and combining characters

From: Joakim Sindholt <opensource_AT_zhasha.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 23:39:25 +0200

I've taken a first stab at implementing combining character support in st.

Since damn near every line of st assumes that the buffer is a grid that maps
exactly to the window, I've implemented it in the worst way possible. Each
glyph now holds a union of two combining characters and a pointer to a zero
terminated array. This is purely to make the most of the space. No length is
kept and every character added past 2 causes a realloc.

I think I've hit all the problem spots with proper frees but someone else will
have to verify this.

There's currently a problem with rendering where Xft doesn't draw the
combining characters as a part of the character they combine to, which causes
things like Hangul Jamo to be completely unusable stacks of characters instead
of the proper combined form.
I do not know how to fix this.

If someone wants to pick this up they're welcome to.

-- Joakim