Re: [hackers] [dmenu] paste fix

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 18:51:26 +0200

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 18:42:23 +0200
Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org> wrote:

> It is correct to use if it's a (feature) patch for the wiki. For
> patches against the current code it is encouraged to use format-patch
> so they can be applied directly (with git am).

The problem I see is that most of the time, people throw their
patches on the wiki and never care about it.
Especially for the git-patches, you have to update them every few
months so they don't break against git-head.
Given there's no easy way to preserve the "commit-message" at
the top of the git-formatted patch, there is quite an inhibition
to update them.

Those patches applied against specific versions often are applied
against tarballs, which don't employ git.

So, in both cases, git format-patch sounds good in theory, but
fails. It only makes sense for user-supplied patches expected
to be applied to mainline, where you want to make sure that
historic accuracy with specific commit-hashes is guaranteed.
In any other case, it doesn't bring much to the table.

Cheers

FRIGN

--
FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>