[hackers] [sxiv] Discussion

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 19:54:28 +0200

Hello fellow hackers,

don't take it personally, Bert, but I don't think your project sxiv[0]
belongs to the suckless git-repository.
Not only is it licensed with the GPLv2, which is despicable in itself,
but the code doesn't even look suckless to me and there are good ways
to go around the whole image-format-cancer-spread nowadays.
Look at how sent does image handling; it's definitely best to push this
task toward other tools, like farbfeld, for easy internal handling.

C: 3663 (98.05%)
sh: 43 (1.15%)
awk: 30 (0.80%)

Do we really need a project the size of dwm to display images?

The name suckless stands for quality software, which foremost tries to
accomplish elegance and simplicity. There are already too many git
repositories in git.suckless.org, and added to this it seems the sxiv
repo on git.suckless.org is just a github mirror, with all its implied
beauty[1]. Do I really need to dig around github now to see what the
commit fixed?

What do you think?

Cheers

FRIGN