Re: [hackers] [surf] Simplify DOWNLOAD macro || Quentin Rameau

From: <ssd_AT_mailless.org>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 09:36:06 +0200

* Ivan Tham 2017-05-11 03:58
> I prefer it to close automatically after a timeout AND interactively with:
>
> timeout 5 read

I understand this, but for me it limits your options for no reason. The
only benefit is that you don't have open terminals for each downloaded
file. I fouund out this to be no problem. I nearly never download tons
of files from the browser just to process them together later (for this
`timeout 5 read` is the valid solution). Instead, I mostly process them
separately and then find it neat to have a terminal for each already
open.

I guess tabbed users can embed these terminals even inside the tabbed
session, but I never used tabbed myself.

My point is, if you want to interact anyway, you will need to press a
key to feed `read`. I advocate giving the full set of possibilities
(shell) on the cost of having to hit 2 keys (Ctrl-D to quit the shell) in
case of minimal interaction. For me it's a good trade off: infinity for
2, so to speak. And I found myself more often than not working inside
this shell rather than just closing it (mostly it would be
- view/process the file (e.g. zathura, sxiv),
- when done, `rm !$`
- Crtl-D).

Otherwise I wolud have tons of forgotten downloads in my ~.

cheers
--s