Re: [hackers] [sbase] tail: Process bytes with -c option, and add -m option for runes || Michael Forney

From: Quentin Rameau <quinq_AT_fifth.space>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 09:36:22 +0200

> tail: Process bytes with -c option, and add -m option for runes
>
> POSIX says that -c specifies a number of bytes, not characters.
> This flag is commonly used by scripts that operate on binary files to
> things like extract a header. Treating the offsets as character
> offsets will break things in mysterious ways.
>
> Instead, add a -m option (chosen to match `wc -m`, which also
> operates on characters) to handle character offsets.

FWIW, the decision was that the tool is intended to be a text tool
hence acting on characters. The POSIX rationale explains it was kept as
bytes not to hassle too much implementations; if you want to copy bytes,
use dd.

That said, your patch gives an alternative to this so it's good.
After a quick look, I don't see any bug reports suggesting adding -m
flag for tail, maybe this is something we should do.

— Quentin