Re: [hackers] [ii][patch] add support for OpenBSD unveil(2)

From: Roberto E. Vargas Caballero <k0ga_AT_shike2.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 17:52:35 +0100

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 10:19:32AM +0200, Laslo Hunhold wrote:
> Adding ifdefs of course is a tough decision in any case, though I
> always think that suckless tools should be really more tuned towards
> OpenBSD as it really is probably the most suckless operating system
> around.

You are wrong, there is nothing about OpenBSD in suckless.
You can write suckless code in Windows, and any unix alike operating
system today sucks a lot.

> If we turn this into patches it just means more work in maintenance
> and, as quoted above, optional security is often forgotten. Also, this
> change is relatively simple and we don't have an ifdef-tree or anything.

Your oppinion is irrelevant, I don't accept sugestions form fanboys. This
is not about security, it is about writing suckless code that can be
understood easily, that can be maintained easily and it is portable.

Security is about designing good system and doing a proper separation
of responsabilities. Mitigations are only a distraction. You should read [1].

If you don't understand any of my reasons, then you should stop posting
here and begin to post to OpenBSD, I am pretty sure that Theo will be
more friendly than we are (irony mode off).

Regards,

[1] https://cr.yp.to/qmail/qmailsec-20071101.pdf