Re: [hackers] [libgrapheme] Refactor libgrapheme.7 || Laslo Hunhold

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 09:35:17 -0400

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020, at 08:45, Silvan Jegen wrote:
> > In many applications, it is necessary to count the number of user-per‐
>
> I *think* it's better to leave out the first comma here but I could be
> wrong about this.

I think it is slightly better to leave out the comma, but it is not
clear-cut to me.

> s/abide/abide by/ ? Not sure, we may need some native speaker input here.

I strongly prefer abide by. I was tempted to write a message saying so,
but I didn't want to be "pedantic". But since someone else has pointed it
out, I agree.

I think that "abide" without the "by" means to tolerate or endure, e.g. "I
will not abide this foolish behavior." I think that to indicate following
rules or keeping an agreement, use "by", e.g. "Please abide by our
agreement" or "If you do not abide by the rules of the game, you will not
be allowed to play".