Re: [wmii] Question about column layout

From: Jonas Pfenniger <zimba.tm_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:11:39 +0100

Anselm R. Garbe wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 12:39:07PM +0100, Steffen Liebergeld wrote:
>

>>first of all I want to thank you for the latest snap, which really
>>works great here. Anyways, I miss the max layout. I remember Garbeam
>>mentioning that the max laout is obsolete, because you can achive this
>>functionality with the column layout. And thats the point. How would
>>one do that? The only ways I can imagine are tabs (ugly) or only one
>>window per page.
>>
>>Is there a third way I didn't find? If not, could you re-add the max
>>layout?
>>

>It is a good point to discuss the future max way now, because I
>also miss it and we should find a proper way.
>
>The old idea was pretty similiar to the wmii-2.x behavior, a
>maximized client gets into a temporary page and is maximized to
>the screen size exclusively.
>
>- a popup (transient) could appear, how to handle this?
> + allowing more clients on such maximized page?
> + unmaximizing the client and attaching the popup to the original page?
> + attaching the popup to another maximized page?
>
>My current favorit idea is different. I think if a client
>requests fullscreen size, no additional page should be created,
>instead it should be raised to the front and cover everything
>else on the same page. This would only apply if a client
>requests the window manager to maximize it to the screen size
>(like in mplayer -fs).
>Additionally I think of a new layout which is called max and
>consists of a single frame, which takes arbitrary clients and
>maximizes them to the whole available frame size. Each client
>can be accessed through tabs.
>
>Now one could define an max action which does:
>
>detach
>newmaxpage
>attach
>
>in a row.
>This would be quite similiar to the wmii-2.x behavior, with the
>exception, that temporary pages are not supported anymore.
>
>Also as a third way of maximization I look at the layouts. Esp.
>column layout could provide a way to maximize a frame of a
>column to the size of the column (like in acme), which is no
>maximize to screen-size at all, but a maximize to some extend
>which could be used frequently.
>
>The main problem with temporary pages is, that it is unsafe and
>nearly indecisable where to attach a detaching client, if a
>temporary page gets destroyed, because in the meantime the
>layout might have changed drastically, or in the worst scenario
>the original page does not exist anymore. That is why I think
>the temporary page concept is bad and should die (it is already
>in current).
>
>Any concerns?
>
>Regards

The last snap I tried, you could only create a new column with an
existing window. Empty columns didn't exist because if you detach or
close the last window it closes itself.

You could use the same principle for new pages. When you create the new
page, it uses the selected window. And when you close the window, the
page is deleted.

It's just an idea.. what do you think ?

Cheers,
  zimba