Re: [wmii] Question about column layout

From: Jani H. Lahtinen <jani.h.lahtinen_AT_nokia.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:37:13 +0200

ext Anselm R. Garbe wrote:

>But I agree that the additional layer called 'tabs' are a bad
>idea after all and that they make the concept more and
>unecessarily complex. In my opinion, tabs should be dropped in
>general, because we have already the structural layer called
>page. If anything doesn't fits into a page, just create a new
>page.

I disagree. I prefer to have tabs. For example when I use matlab, it
would be extremely nice to have one frame for the code and a couple of
frames for figures which can be tabbed. Similarily for the webbrowser
(Firefox has tabs of its own of course). As I expressed earlier I think
that a page is simply a tab for the whole screen. Restricting the way
people can use the wm sounds to me to be against the dynamic concept.
How can it be dynamic if the user is forced to use it in a particular
way? Did you not write on the wiki "not the user's job to have to set up
some specialized layout that will only work for one specific work
scenario."? Now you want to do the opposite on the page level. I feel
that restricting the options makes the wm less dynamic.

Jani