Re: [wmii] wmiifs bug?

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:42:16 +0100

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 01:07:30PM +0200, Andrei Tanase wrote:
> wmii 2.5.1, tothiel 9base, openbsd 3.6
>
> after running gnumeric (layout doesn't matter, gnumeric version is
> 1.2.10 something, the standard obsd 3.6 package) wmii stops responding
> to hotkeys except M-t, further examination reveals that wmiifs doesn't
> respond, ps lists a lot of waiting wmiir's, finally the system succumbs
> to open file and process limits overflow. no core files. sometimes wmiir
> complains about not being able to talk to wmiifs. i'll try to ktrace
> wmiifs later, i don't have time and a suitable kernel right now, would
> it help?
>
> any ideas?

I hope that wmii-3 can be finished asap, because the old libixp
in conjunction with wmiifs has some of those side-effects which
occur randomly, especially under high load (many wmiir calls).

Could it be, that gnumeric changes its window title frequently?
If so, try to uncomment following lines in wmiirc as workaround:

wmiir write /wm/event/client-update \
'text=`{wmiir read /wm/page/sel/mode/sel/client/sel/name} \
wmiir write /bar/'^$clab^'/data $"text'

I know, that there are several clients which change the window
title several times per second, you see that this will have the
effect that above rc code is executed several times per second,
and that for each wmiir a socket is opened. This all sucks and
will be totally different with 9P.

Regards,