[wmii] Fwd: Re: regarding changeset 240 & 255

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:59:38 +0100

FYI, how my vague TODO looks atm:

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 01:34:11PM +0100, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> So how useful is it to fix bugs at this point? I like helping to
> stabilize wmii, but if the 'core' is going to change so much due to 9P
> integration that the fixes become obsolete in a couple of weeks, it is
> probably better to work on something else for now (let me know if you
> have any suggestions).

You are right. My todo (in order of steps) looks as follows (cmd/wm only atm):

1. Merge struct Frame with struct Client
2. Remove LayoutDef, merge struct LayoutDef with struct layout
3. Page - Layout - Client (direct structural representation)
4. Clean up layout_column due to structural changes
5. Remove File-stuff, represent it into Client, Page and Layout
   struct instead, build direct Qid-based routing paths to those
   functions (see cmd/wmiibar2.c to get an example how
   Qid-routing works, especially mkqid(...))
6. Once this is integrated, add extended stack functionality
   (the tabbing alternative)
7. Do 9P integration for wmiikeys, wmiibar, wmiimenu and wmiifs
   as well (if you like, you could try to migrate wmiikeys for
   example or wmiimenu, following how it works in wmiibar2)
8. Extend liblitz with the long awaited input widget
9. Add tagbars to wmiibar and Client struct
10. Documentation

wmii-3

Afterwards in wmii-4 we might add the requested _NETWM_STRUT
hint to allow wmiibar and my planned wmiislot to set it, that
the managed area does not overlaps those windows.

> PS. Is libixp2/wmiir2 anywhere near useable already? Is there some way
> I can help testing/debugging it in its current state?

wmiir2 works brilliant, even in conjunction with acme, try
running acme and do following:

./wmiir2 -a 'unix!/tmp/ns.<username>.:0/acme' read /new

Regards,