Re: [wmii] Plan9ish projects

From: Steffen Liebergeld <stepardo_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:25:55 +0100

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:45:25 +0800, Fernan Bolando <fernanbolando_AT_mailc.net> said:
> just a bunch of ramblings... If anybody is going to write a
> replacement for X, Is it really his problem to make all those legacy
> apps to work? I think it would better to leave legacy apps to handle
> the new X instead of the new X to handle legacy apps.

  First of all, get rid of the term "X". ;-) There is already an
"Y", so the next big thing should be named "Z". Or.. A good acronym
would be "pax" - "p" ain't "X".

  Secondly, if we can get something like a nested X (the cygwin
version of X.org is a example), there should be no further problems
with those "legacy-apps". It would be a very stupid idea to implement
the full bunch of X11 again.

  I heard some rumors, that even under Plan9, they're using a
vnc-client to use "X"-Apps (eg browsers). Maybe that would be a way to
go.

--
Microsoft is simply one example of a proprietary software developer, a
software developer that tries to subjugate users to keep them divided