Re: [wmii] Float mode

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 18:51:22 +0200

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 04:37:23PM +0200, Steffen Liebergeld wrote:
> On 4/30/06, Denis Grelich <denisg_AT_ueberl33t.info> wrote:
> >On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:09:34 +0200
> >"Steffen Liebergeld" <stepardo_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> wouldn't it be resonable to hide windows in the floating layer when
> >> switching to managed mode? I mean, those floating windows are then in
> >> the way. One could bring the back into the front when switching to
> >> floating mode.
> >
> >Hello,
> >
> >no, it wouldn't. a) For simplicity's sake, because then, we would surely
> >need an always-on-top flag, b) because it would end in the same situation
> >as most WIMP wm's. "Where are my windows?" The managed area hides /all/ of
> >the floating layer. The floating layer is usually not that opaque.
>
> Good point. I can live with that;-)

Beside of simplicity there is a different reason. The floating
layer is usually only intended for transient windows of managed
windows, that's why it cannot be lowered. If you use floating
apps, use them in some kind of floating-app-only view.

Btw. this has been proven a good decision (originally adviced by
our old advisor Uriel), which made the LarsWM concept
unnecessary complex.

Regards,