Re: [wmii] suggestions for the sanitizing of swapping

From: Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 18:32:23 +0200

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 06:12:30PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 04:10:54PM +0200, Stefan Tibus wrote:
> Now we come closer to the real source of the problem. Is this
> because resolution or because of golden ratio addictedness?
Neither. It does not have to be golden ratio, at least I don't
try to get it explicitly, but maybe it's what I end up with.

> I noticed that the LarsWM approach works well with 800x600
> pixels and higher. The wmii approach works with 1024x768 and
> higher (preferably more than 1400x1050 pixels is best).
> Which resolution do you use?
1280x1024

> With swapping you would usually do following steps:
> 1. Select right column
> 2. Select the client you want to zoom
> 3. $MODKEY-Control-$LEFT
>
> Without swapping you don't need more steps:
> 1. $MODKEY-Shift-$RIGHT
> 2. Select the client you want to zoom
> 3. $MODKEY-Shift-$LEFT
>
> The necessary interactions are nearly the same in both cases,
> though it could be, that your master column is destroyed from
> time to time. Assumed you have 1024x768 pixels resolution, you
> could set /def/colwidth to 1024*0.7=716 pixels and you have
> LarsWM behavior.
It's not about the keystrokes my concern is about, but about
the destruction of the master column and the resizings then
and when the number of clients within the slave column change.
With swapping this is less (and thus more effective) and that's
the point.

BTW Thanks for the constructive discussion!

Regards,
Stefan