Re: [wmii] answers to IRC comments

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 17:22:15 +0200

On 5/12/06, Denis Grelich <denisg_AT_ueberl33t.info> wrote:
> On the other hand, why is a nil view needed at all? One could start in the view with the default tag, instead in a nil view. No need to apply a rule for the first windows then, and absolutely no need for a nil view. Clean and simple. (I'm so bold and claim that, although I didn't look into the source code ;)

The problem is that the rules (and hence the 'default' view) are
written (and applied) in wmiirc, which is after wmiiwm is started.
Since it is possible that wmii is run after some other clients already
exist (when wmii is run from an xterm for instance), a fallback tag is
needed (since all clients need at least one tag, and there is no
default tag to give to clients that exist already before wmiirc is
run). In fact, one doesn't even _have_ to write any rules at all; in
that case, clients must still get a tag though...

Greetings, Sander.