Re: [wmii] Floating window disappears

From: Kris Maglione <bsdaemon_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 16:30:52 -0400

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 04:26:26PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
>We removed the * tag because of several nasty corner-cases. What
>todo if all clients of a view are * tagged (destroy view, except
>last view? What is last view?), What todo with tags like
>*+foo+bar (they are valid syntax), quite nasty checks in
>update_view (separate handling in all places on view
>creation/destruction) etc. etc. - actually we had a hack of this
>stuff which consisted of about 30 lines or so, but it was quite
>ugly and duplicated much code. A * tag works contrary to the
>normal tagging because of this special treatment.
I think that it would be reasonable for the view to be both ordinary and
special. There could be a literal '*' view, while any windows with the tag
also show up in any other views. If no window _specifically_ has a certain
tag, that view doesn't exist. That would also make tags like '*+foo+bar'
sensible, since that window would hold the foo and bar views open, while also
living everywhere else. I would imagine it could be implemented in much fewer
than 30 lines that way.

Just a suggestion; I could live with or without it.

--
Kris Maglione
Everyone gets away with something.