Re: [wmii] Dockapp problem

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 22:04:01 +0200

On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 09:41:04PM +0200, Denis Grelich wrote:
> Dockapps don't fit into the dynamic WM concept at all. And
> then, it depends of course on how high your bar is. 40 pixels
> long and 20 height are, imo, enough to give at least a glimpse
> about the current state of the network. To be honest, I don't
> see that much more benefit in »cur: 10kb/s avg5m: 77.8kb/s
> that much.«

Might be that you get this info into 20px height. Anyway, I
think this is not the job of a window manager bar. We should not
add too bloaty things to the bar.

> > I think this icon stuff should not be implemented. It has too
> > less benefit. Supporting instead withdrawn apps in some dockbar
> > seems the better solution.
>
> If images are not supported, I can understand that from some
> POV. But I can't understand if you support dockapps instead.
> They should not be supported, imho.

Actually with dockapps I mean withdrawn apps, which set their
state to withdrawn, even if they are visible (that is the trick
of such apps to be treated differently). More modern apps set
EWMH hints. In any case, the amount of apps which open a tray
icon window (like skype), or who do similiar crap will increase.
We will need to handle them in some way, at least this is a
window manager.
Even if 'some way' means to kill them.

Regards,