Re: [wmii] higher load under wmii-3

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 09:55:03 +0200

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 09:37:30AM +0200, Uwe Voelker wrote:
> when using wmii-3 I have a much higher load compared to ion3.
>
> Even without further activity the load (and average) is around 0.20
> whereas ion3 has 0.0x. This is on a Debian system with moderate hardware
> (Athlon XP 2700+, 1 GB).
>
> Do others experience the same or is my setup broken?
> What could cause this higher load?

There are several reasons, the most important one is, that wmii
does much more I/O operations on the wmii socket beside X11
communication. You can reduce the load through killing the
status script (without status I have 0.06). Or you can decrease
the status scripts refresh interval.

If you perform interactions (selecting another client), this
produces some load as well, because a wmiir process is forked
which writes some commands to the specific ctl file and exits
(though this load is marginal in my eyes). If you link wmiir
statically, you can decrease the load as well and gain noticable
speedups in Linux and BSD systems.

Other reasons might be, that wmii has more aggressive timeouts
in some loops which contain some usleep statements, thus those
loops are more busy, but I'm not sure this really causes
trouble.

Regards,