Re: [wmii] wmii-3 mean real improvements?

From: John Nowak <john_AT_johnnowak.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:38:06 -0400

On May 23, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Denis Grelich wrote:

> On Tue, 23 May 2006 18:27:49 +0200
> "Anselm R. Garbe" <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> wrote:
>
>> I think, a status bar at the top gets always in the way, because
>> you scan the screen from top to bottom all the time. Thus a bar
>> in the top would be always scanned, this might be very annoying
>> as default. I'm not sure why Apple fans like the clock at the
>> top...
>
> Apple got also the menu at the top, don't they?

Yes, unlike MS where the menu is at the bottom... Unless it is a menu
that's part of a window, in which case it is part of the top of that
window, wherever that window is (is it even entirely on the screen?).
Usually.

What MS has done was largely to avoid copying the "look and feel" of
the Macintosh whenever possible. (Desktop icons on the LEFT? You mean
where my windows go? Right.) I wouldn't look to them for any hints on
usability.

That said... I prefer the status bar on the bottom. :-)

But... it really ought to be configurable. You already must know the
height of it to be able to draw the windows above it, so just add the
height of that to all of the window positions to get their new
position and slap the thing on top? Ten lines of code? Maybe? No? A
horrible assumption to make, I know...

It has at least as much usefulness as the colors do, and we do that.

- John