[wmii] Re: some things worth to look at before 3.1

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 09:35:31 +0200

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 09:13:50AM +0200, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> On 5/28/06, Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> >- separate namespaces for taglabels and user-defined labels in the
> >bar? This is simply necessary in -4 (because of the possibility to
> >have empty views, a click on the statuslabel will create view status,
> >which is undesirable), but also welcome in wmii-3.1. Using a tag
> >'status' results in (from the user's POV) strange behavior right now
> >(I just pushed and removed again a workaround for the problem that
> >makes the situation slightly less crappy, see irclog for details; if
> >wmii-3.1 is not going to have separate namespaces for taglabels and
> >user-defined labels, I still think that this hack is better than the
> >current situation).
>
> Well actually, if the creation of labels (for views) is going to be
> externalized again, we'll need a different solution for this problem,
> in wmii-4 at least; in that case _all_ labels would technically be
> user-defined labels. Maybe we can allow the user to create dirs in
> /bar by himself, and report the entire path on BarClick (such as
> view/1 and userdef/status for instance) so that wmiirc can decide
> better what to do?

I don't see the need to complicate the bar. If one wants to
differentiate tag labels from userdefined labels, you can use a
prefix, no need to create paths. Use 'atag_' prefix for tags,
and check on click, if it begins with 'atag_' and the select the
associated view, otherwise ignore or do something else.

Regards,