Re: [wmii] wmii-3 configuration - in Ruby

From: Kris Maglione <bsdaemon_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 21:56:49 -0400

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 06:37:16PM -0700, Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:

>Kris Maglione wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 11:33:38AM -0700, Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:
>>> Were you doing the port by hand? If so, SWIG[1] can totally
>>> eliminate that task.
>> Yes, I know of SWIG and decided against using it. In my experience, SWIG
>> creates ugly, kludgy interfaces. I would very much prefer to have a
>> clean ruby interface to the -l9p backend. The interface is very small,
>> so it won't take much effort.
>
>Well, I'm going to try my luck with libixp & SWIG once my summer
>vacation begins. I'll post again, once libixp emits that shiny red
>sparkle we've all come to love. ;-)
>
>Also, I updated my Ruby wmii configuration according to everyone's
>feedback and snippets and put them online[1].

If I were you, I wouldn't waste my time. I can almost garuntee you that
libixp+SWIG->ruby will give you a crufty interface. You'd be able to write an
interface to ixp_client for ruby in less than a half hour's time with little
effort. It's honestly not worth it, imo, though. It would be incredibly easy
to just port the ixp_client code to ruby and have a portable library. There's
really not that much code there, and it would be even less in ruby (if done
right).