Re: [wmii] wmii-3 configuration - in Ruby

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:13:00 +0200

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 05:15:20PM -0400, Kris Maglione wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 11:42:02AM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> >libixp is much smaller than the complete lib9p* dependencies of
> >Plan9 (which are about 50kSLOC including lib9, if not more). And
> >libixp/client.c keeps the connection between dial and hangup, I
> >don't think the client part is a bad API of libixp (however the
> >server side needs polishing, I always agreed to this).
> >
> >A sloccount of libixp tells me it consists of 1244 lines, for
> >everything (socket handling, server/client side, protocol layer,
> >- only dependency are 173 lines of libcext).
> >This is 1.5kSLOC vs. 60kSLOC...
> Yes, I considered mentioning this after I posted. Like I said, though, I
> already gave up writing libixp bindings to ruby. The interface for
> ixp_client is sane, I'll admit, but I'd rather rewrite it in ruby whan
> write bindings. It would actually be easier. I think, though, that I'd
> rather have lib9pclient bindings, since it fully supports authentication. I
> think that it's somewhat slower, though, than libixp. I haven't actually
> benchmarked the libs, just the executables (wmiir and 9p), and wmiir is ~3x
> the speed.

This might be related to lib9, because nearly every libc call of
Plan 9 apps ends is wrapped in the Unix environment by lib9.
Anyway, in 9base I linked everything statically and the
performance gain was fantastic (however 9base didn't contained
lib9* stuff, because that depends on libthread, which is not
very portable, e.g. amd64/ia64 had serious problems with p9p
(dunno if that has been fixed in the meantime).

I saw a p9p discussion in the IRC. Actually I came to the
conclusion that Russ did it right not to modularize the beast.
The current source tree is pretty much similiar to the original
Plan 9 source tree, that's why p9p is a rather monolithic source
tree and cannot be modularized easily. On the other hand this is
also the reason why I think depending on any bits from Plan 9 is
crap, because you depend on p9p in the end at least - which only
few people really want to install... Thus p9p is a bad default,
but a great option.

Regards,