Re: [wmii] wmii-4 fs proposal/discussion

From: Michael Ekstrand <michael_AT_elehack.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 07:05:15 -0500

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:40:40AM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > I can think of several ways of achieving the effect of
> > multiple collapsed clients and the one in the TODO is the one
> > that I like least of them all. I'd be *much* more comfortable
> > just being to collapse a client to 0 height and being able to
> > split the height of a client with the one above or below it.
> > It seems to me that the suggested behaviour, on the other hand
> > would be, though simple, absolutely unbearable.
>
> The approach being proposed in the TODO reduces the interaction
> work of the user to basically navigation. Your approach looks
> cumbersome compared to the automatic behavior of the
> TODO-approach. I don't want to define specific heights pro
> managed client, that takes too much time.

Reading both of these ideas, and having no experience with managed WM's
aside from wmii, I'm not sure what I like better. I've gotten used to
(and adapted my workflow to) wmii-3's stacking/tagging/multi-row mode
selection. I wasn't 100% convinced at first, as I had gotten used to a
workspace using tabbing, and stacking doesn't entirely replace tabbing,
but I like it. I am a bit uncomfortable with having to significantly
readjust my work environment with every new release.

Anyway, for my usage pattern, I like the stacking/multi-row dichotomy.
It lets me maintain the distinction of "large work area" and "utility
shells" a la wmii-2. with relative ease, and then have a 'www' view with
all my Firefox windows in a stacked column. I'm not sure what will let
me maintain that most easily. I'm open-minded to whatever winds up
being in wmii-4, but it'd be good for users like me if we don't have to
do too much to maintain a similar workflow to what we've developed with
wmii-3.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: a device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
                -- Fortune