Re: Bar going away? (was: Re: [wmii] Re: wmii-4 fs proposal/discussion)

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:52:05 +0200

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 04:06:30PM +0200, Uriel wrote:
> On 6/12/06, Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> wrote:
> >There is a difference in how Uriel would like to see the bar and
> >me. The bar I have in mind consists of a left bar which is
> >editable and takes the rest width of the uneditable right bar,
> >which can be used for status info and stuff like done atm.
> >Switching views is done through plumbing, the selected view
> >might be highlighted with *foo*.
>
> Please read irc logs for what I actually said, which in the end is no
> different from acme's tag bars, where you also need an area that is
> user editable and an area that is managed by acme. In this case
> because the 'managed' area is probably updated by a external client
> the best is to have two files ltag rtag, one aligned to the left,
> other aligned to the right, probably we could leave both user
> editable, but by default status would overwrite whatever the user
> edits on rtag. (I'm not too happy with this idea, but sounds like a
> good compromise to make most people happy)
>
> And by the way, I never said I want the date/time to be editable, I
> only said I want to be able to snarf it directly from the tag. (same
> goes for any other status info I might want to have in my bar).
>
> I hope this explanation is a bit more clear.

Yes that is much more clear now. I think with the upcoming input
widget everything will be snarf'able. But I really consider to
allow >=1 labels for the right bar which may take a different
background/text color (like now) and which can be updated
independently. The advantage of different files representing
different labels is, that we can eliminate several races with
this technique as pointed out by dottedmag (however >1 client
accessing a label might be racy still, but we shouldn't care,
last update wins as usual). It is no big deal with Kris' new
fs2.c implementation to allow >= 1 labels for the right bar. By
default we will only create the status label. And yes, I think
each label will be simply a read-only input widget.

> >> WAP is crap.
> >
> >Web is crap.
>
> The world is crap.

Nah, I think not the world, but the world humans realize as
reality is crap.

Regards,