Re: Bar going away? (was: Re: [wmii] Re: wmii-4 fs proposal/discussion)

From: Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:55:58 +0200

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 09:03:45AM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 03:50:09PM +0200, Uriel wrote:
> > >
> > >1) Agreed.
> > >2) Is already there through tagging, thus nothing new.
> >
> > Wrong, that is not what i meant, sticky-floating clients should appear
> > in all views always in the same position (and they should show up in
> > all views even if the tag for the new view did not exist when the
> > client was started). Basically sticky clients are in an extra layer on
> > top of views that is always visible.
Didn't a "*" tag exist, showing up a such tagged client in all views?

> You mean something like the OSX widgets layer or the ion3
> scratchpad layer? That might be worth considering (esp. for
> external dockbar apps). We need in any case the possibility to
> define the width (at least) of the managed layer relatively that
> such an sticky layer would make any sense.
...and here I'm back with the idea to define the managed area
globally and per view via the fs as in older versions. What's
the problem with doing so? Combining this with that "*" tag
should suffice.
I wouldn't like defining just a width, if anything then I'd like
to define position, width and height.

Regards,
Stefan