Bar going away? (was: Re: [wmii] Re: wmii-4 fs proposal/discussion)

From: John S. Yates, Jr. <john_AT_yates-sheets.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:14:34 -0400

Anselm R. Garbe writes:

> The question is if this is really necessary. Isn't having
> unmanaged space on the right screen border sufficient?

Stefan Tibus responds:

> Because some people (including myself) may like it at the bottom,
> at the top, on the left, on both sides...

I seem to recall Anselm mentioning a month or two ago that one virtue
of stealing space on the right was not needing to adjust coordinates.
I can appreciate that simplification.

OTOH I too would like a bit more than just sticky-right. I very much
would like to get DrewAdams' emacs OneOnOne package --
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/OneOnOneEmacs -- working under
wmii. A basic prerequisite would be successful support of a dedicated
minibuffer --
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Dedicated_Minibuffer_Frame .

That would require sticky space at the bottom of the screen. Cannot
such space can be provided while preserving the virtue of not needing
to adjust coordinates?

So how about stick-right and stick-bottom but not sticky-left nor
sticky-top?

An issue with sticky-bottom that has no analog in stick-right is in
defining the relationship to the bar. Let us say that wmii's bar grabs
its sticky space before any other layout occurs. That leads naturally
to a notion of repeated sticky allocation with what ever is not taken
becoming the managed space. A sticky allocation could be either bottom
or right. It would be crucial to be able to control the sequence /
priority of these allocations. Today's bar could obviously be modeled
as the first (priority 0) allocation, location = bottom. Others might
prefer the few extra pixel for a vertical docking bar and might want
that to be priority 0. Irrespective of whether I define a vertical
docking bar I would like to be able to define a second stick-bottom
space for my emacs minibuffer.

Here's another idea. I do not know that I would use it but I throw
it out for discussion. There could be both global and per-tag stick
allocations. Global would be applied first. They define the right and
bottom starting edges from which per-tag sticky allocations occur.

/john