Re: [wmii] blocking on 'wmiir read /event'

From: Chris Foster <foster_AT_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 21:57:40 +1000

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 01:47:41PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:

> > > Move your mouse around, press bound shortcuts etc, you should
> > > get some output at least...
> >
> > Ok, good Idea. I can get the expected events when clicking on the bar,
> > with the mouse but nothing at all from the keyboard.
> >
> > Reading from /def/keys confirms that all the shortcuts are expected:
> > $ wmiir -a 'unix!/tmp/ns.foster.:1/wmii' read /def/keys
> > Mod4-h
> > Mod4-l
> > Mod4-j
> > Mod4-k
> > Mod4-space
> > ... etc
>
> How does your output of xmodmap looks like and are you sure that
> Mod4 is bound correctly to the key you suspect it to be?

Well, I don't do anything funky myself with xmodmap, and as I said the
problem is intermittent. ATM I'm writing this from within another
instance of wmii running on DISPLAY=:0 for which the modmap should be
exactly the same (the wmiirc differs insignificantly in only a few
lines). xmodmap from within the working wmii results in

$ xmodmap -pm
xmodmap: up to 3 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift Shift_L (0x32), Shift_R (0x3e)
lock Caps_Lock (0x42)
control Control_L (0x25), Control_R (0x6d)
mod1 Alt_L (0x40), Alt_L (0x7d), Meta_L (0x9c)
mod2 Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4 Super_L (0x7f), Hyper_L (0x80)
mod5 Mode_switch (0x5d), ISO_Level3_Shift (0x7c)

Which is what I expect, but this isn't surprising since everything is
working fine in this wmii.

Unfortunately if I try setting DISPLAY to directly probe DISPLAY=:1
where the dodgy copy of wmii is running then I get refused by the X
server. (And I don't have root on the machine so I presume I cannot fix
this :( ) I really don't think this is the problem though.

~Chris.