Re: [wmii] wmiirc Locking Up

From: Kris Maglione <bsdaemon_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:35:04 -0400

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 04:21:06PM +0200, W.P. van Paassen wrote:
>On 6/28/06, Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> wrote:
>>On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 09:22:26AM +0200, W.P. van Paassen wrote:
>> > I'm having the same lock up problems.
>> > I noticed however that in case of a lockup the following error
>> > is constantly generated
>> >
>> > wmiir cannot connect to server
>>

>>If that occures, no more connections attempting to connect to
>>the server aren't enqueued by the OS.
>
>This is propably caused by the server not accepting connections any
>longer (because it hangs?)
>
>>Could it be that you run
>>several other servers which might be connected from other kinds
>>of clients as well, that we get near to say 256 connections in
>>average?
>>

>No, this is not the case
>
>By the way my /tmp is on nfs and the file's atime is not updated (for
>performance reasons)
>
>I'll do some stracing and come back later
It might be easier to attach to it with gdb and get a backtrace. The server
hanging would not cause that error to be constantly generated, though. The
only place that we loop if wmiir exits non-zero is in the first loop in the
wmiirc (echo "Start wmiirc"), but that has stderr redirected to /dev/null, so
it can't be the cause. Everywhere else we loop, we stop when wmii exits or
exits non-zero (the event loop exits with wmii, the status script exits when
wmiir exits non-zero). It seems likely to me that somehow, you've managed to
cause an infinate loop in you wmiirc or status scripts which, possibly, forks
enough wmiir instances to cause the socket to reject connections.

The only other likely possibility is that the socket is somehow being closed
or wmiir is dieing. Check with netstat that the socket is actually still open
and listening for connections and how many open connections it has. It might
also help to put "echo $@" in the begining of your event loop to see if events
are still being generated.

--
Kris Maglione